Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pics on the way back from town...ptui!


To calm myself after going to town (ptui) I stopped in Elk Lake to take some pictures. With the melt well under way I ended up at the Makobe River which runs into the Montreal River. The river runs under a bailey bridge one of the few left around. These bridges were used to cross rivers all through the north, they were quick to erect, strong and very functional. The main bridge in Gowganda used to be a bailey bridge and one at the Wapus crossing too, these have both been replaced by modern structures.

3 comments:

Kate said...

PTUI! is right, H-ville has already turned into a madhouse. My once calm 15min drive to work has already turned into an hour, tried the hwy the other day, no hope, still under construction. I think I had alot of other 4 letter words to say than ptui..ha!! Cant really complain too much tho, I love the sound of snow melting....

Karen said...

So, were the bridges named Bailey Bridge after the inventor of the that type of bridge?
I remember the one in Gowganda...it always seemed before the road was done that there was a nice wash board effect from the logging trucks, right after coming over the bridge. Fond memories...

Gowganda Photography said...

Karen,
It was Donald Bailey from the British War Office. For more info click on the link bailey bridge.
Bill