Saturday, August 7, 2010

Leroy Lake



A couple of weeks ago I paddled around Leroy Lake and found a couple of interesting plants I haven't seen for awhile. Paddling up through a small backwater I found some Bog Rosemary and Round Leafed Sundew a carnivorous plant.
The plant feeds on insects, which are attracted to its bright red colour and its glistening drops of mucilage, loaded with a sugary substance, that cover its leaves. It has evolved this carnivorous behaviour in response to its habitat, which is usually poor in nutrients or so acidic that nutrient availability is severely decreased. The plant uses enzymes to dissolve the insects - which become stuck to the glandular tentacles - and extract nitrates and other nutrients from their bodies. (from Wikipedia)

6 comments:

Brook said...

That top photo is wonderful. Is it getting to be Fall up there?

Gowganda Photography said...

Hi Brook,
Glad to read you're back. It's been extreamely hot and dry here this summer but today I was out ATVing and some of the red maples are starting turn. I hope it's because of the dryness. To soon for fall, I hope.

Brook said...

The crazy busy summer with kids is nearly over and we are shifting into back to school mode, i definitely have a little more free time. I didn't think it was quite that time up there(Fall) but you never know til you ask. Too bad about the dry weather, hopefully you'll get just enough rain at the right time to help the turning trees be beautiful in another month or so. Be safe out there!

Gert said...

That is really interesting . I didn't know we had carnivorous plants here!!!!!!!!

Ron said...

Nice pics Bill.

Kate Fox said...

I thought the second picture was rosemary, never heard of bog rosemary, I'm guessing its edible, and if that's true, try it with your next shore lunch and let me know