Saturday, July 7, 2012

Hot, Hot, Hot

This last week or so has been so hot I have been hiding in the basement.  Last year we had a couple of hot ones but this doesn't seem to end.  We are not alone with this heat I feel sorry for the rest of them down south with the heat and the terrible weather, tornadoes and flooding, roads buckling and power outages .
I hadn't been out with a camera since the last post several days ago but yesterday I was out checking the blueberries, sorry to say but it doesn't look to promising.  The leaves are falling off the plants it's so dry and what berries I did happen to find were tiny and all dried up. Lots of the creeks and streams are also dry.  The bears are going to miss all the berry crop this year.
Here is a pic of some Cotton  grass (Eriophorum) along the side of a pond at Miller Lake.

3 comments:

Minden said...

There's a lot to be said about hiding in basements. I know someone who will be heartbroken about the blueberries, he plans his winter survival around them.

Ella said...

Have read other bloggers and understand that the situation is terribly "over there". It must be awful when you have to spend the time inside instead of out in the nature. But you got a beautiful shot of the Cotton grass. I like it when the marshes here are filled with them so it almost looks like snow in the summer.
Hope you will get some rain soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can't believe it's that dry up there. How are the lakes doing? We visit Gowganda every fall to take advantage of the amazing scenery, solitude, and hunting/fishing that you just don't get in the U.S. Hope the lakes are high enough to get around in the fall. P.S.- Your site/pictures are always amazing and help to pass the time until I can once again return each fall. Thank you!