Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Solo trip Day 3


Waking up to the sound of pouring rain on the tent in the middle of the night just before the final push to the trailhead, not good. It was still raining hours later when it got light. I just put my rainsuit on as I figured it would go on for quite some time. As I opened the tent flap I couldn't even see the lake for fog. Finally standing it was thicker that I expected. The decision now is to push on to the trailhead go to the top of the ridge and not even see the firetower at the top. The alternative was to return north. I had all ready been to the top a few years earlier with Kate on a flyin. Not going up would not break a great trip so far.

The decision to go back north made, I broke camp after a quick coffee and some breakfast and paddled the reverse of the day before.

There was a slight wind from the south which I hoped would still be there when I reached Smoothwater. Sure enough the wind was blowing from the south all the way up to the gravel bar at the very top end of Smoothwater where I made camp. This had taken all day to get there and most of the time it was raining and foggy. I made the correct decision to come back north.

The gravel bar was a great spot for camping, flat, and open with a breeze to keep the bugs away. There was even a thunderbox donated by the Millineum loo crew (I tip my had to them).

As the day wound down the sunset was tremendous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic pix, bro! That, and I'm glad you are back in one piece!
Carol