Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Look who flew in


Look who flew into the window I mean. While working in the kitchen I heard a great thump on the back porch window, after going outside to look around what do I find is an immature Pileated Woodpecker flat on the ground with his head rolling around. Picked him up and placed him in a dark box for about an hour in the porch. After that time I started to here some scatching from inside the box.
Opening the box I saw he was all right after all they spend most of their time pounding their head and neck into trees looking for bugs a crash into the house can't be all that bad. Anyway I took a few close up pics and then Gert came over and held onto him for his portait. This was taken between pecks at her hand with that large sharp bill, Thanks Gert.

3 comments:

Gert said...

I was thrilled that you called me Bill. One doesn't get a chance for an up close look at a Pileated.
I was amazed at how strong he was.
I am glad he was only a baby...an adult could have given us some big bruises!

Face said...

Many moons ago his great grandfather :) lived near Gow Bush Gon and would wake anyone up in the morning.

There was a board on an electric pole that it drummed on EVERY morning.

Brook said...

That is one big woodpecker-how wonderful that he is okay. I have just recently had two late hatching bantam chickens die after the broody hen rejected them. Yeah, seeing alive and well is good. Thanks!