Saturday, November 28, 2009

Revisiting the horse loggers


My brother in law, Brian up from Lindsay for a few days and I took a trip into the Beauty Lake Road for a look at the horse logging that is going on. They have quite a block of forest to do and expect to be there all winter. These loggers are hired by Domtar to work in areas close to developed sites where the noise of harvesters, skidders, delimbers and large logging trucks could cause problems. They are also very enviromentaly friendly while working too, and it gives Domtar some needed good PR relations with the public.
There are several loggers there that are woking in the area, they all have areas where they work indepedently in the same area. The horses are in great shape and are anxious to work. We talked to a group from Belle Valle that had two horses. One man with the chainsaw and two pullers with horses hauling out the logs. The logs were coming out depending on the size one or two at a time per horse. Logs were fallen and trimmed before being hauled, attached to the chain at the end of the harness and then moved to a location where they were cut to size for the truck to pick them up. This process moved over and over again with little distubance of the ground far from the mess the skidders leave behind, even young trees were unharmed in the process.

2 comments:

Brook said...

I LOVE THIS! I know that todays demands for resources press for the quick and easy way, but oh, to think of what a low impact horse logging has on the environment. I am so glad this is being practised-in even a smallish way in your area. I wish it was done more here. The clear cuts almost turn my stomach some days, for the waste and erosion. Beautiful pictures yet again by the way!

Unknown said...

Love these wonderful photos. I grew up when animals were vital to everyday life. Any chance I could watercolor paint from your photos.?? Love to captcha days gone by and revival of older ways. Thank you, I enjoyed your blog.