Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cold to the point of bone chilling

This AM my thermometer was close to -39C for the second day in a row. I went downstairs and checked the temperature inside 11C. I couldn't put enough wood in the stove the night before because of all the ashes. Won't do that again.
Had to go into town today, I had plugged the car in and put it on a timer, all went well it started easy. The hard part was getting the garage door open, it wouldn't work. After finally getting it up the hard part was closing it up.
Drive in comfortable but when I got to town the clutch felt like it was attached to a semi. I guess the wind chill at -35C and 100km per hour has to be pretty cold. It wasn't until the afternoon until it felt like it should.
Got home and cleaned the ashes out and now warm and comfortable and have set the oil furnace to come on when the wood fire starts to wind down. Lesson learned.

4 comments:

Brook said...

And I thought 5F was cold! Keep those ashes cleared and keep yuorself warm. I definitely don't remember those kind of temps, of course we were never that far north either.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Bill,
Glad you are toasty warm this a.m.
For our American friends -39.C converts to -38.2 F.
A friend from Virginia asked me that about the cold yesterday too. Their temperature was 18F and they were freezing. I told him that when it hits that 'high' here in good ol' Gowganda we light up the BBQ!!

Love the Blog Bill..

Anonymous said...

Virginia IS cold. At my house right now (8 pm, 1/16) it is -10 C and is supposed to drop to -15 or lower tonight. At least the wind has died down. We are not ready to break out the BBQ just this evening - maybe tomorrow. Toasty inside, but I, too, have let the ashes accumulate in the wood stove.

Anonymous said...

osHi Big Henry,
Hope the temperature rises before Tuesday...

I would hate to see any of the Inaugural 'festivities' cancelled because of it.

Cheers.