Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mapping snowshoe trail






Finally the cold weather has broke. There looks to be several moderate days in the forecast, some with more snow. Will take it.
Out today with my new Christmas toy. I have always had a GPS but I bought one that could transfer info to the computer. After playing with it for some time I took it along today on the snoeshoe trail.

You can map your progress by way of time, distance, elevation and latitude and longitude for those not familiar with these devices

I had it set to record all of the necessary pieces to produce a map. All the while you can watch it being tracked on the unit itself. Transfering the data to a program on the computer produces a fine quality map. Other data is available as far a elevations and distances travelled and waypoints of specific areas along the trail.

Paul was tracking on his new GPS at the same time we found they were very accurate up to less than 5m. By the way check out his new shoes.

1 comment:

Brook said...

What a fun gadget! I have yet to learn how to use compass much less one of these things. Need to learn though. Glad things have warmed up a bit!