Thursday, April 23, 2009

Great day today



Cleaning up the lot across the road. After several years the growth of poplars and cherry had overtaken the lot. I had a lot cut from last fall and today I burned up all the tops and branches. It took the whole day but it sure saved me lots of loads to the dump. Now all I have to take are the bigger stems. Had to wait for a north wind to burn so the town wouldn't get smoked out but early in the AM the wind had a mind of it own until later it moved around to NNWest. Perfect for burning. Spent the whole day burning and the weather was great.
Paul and I went for a drive west of town to the Bay Lumber Road at Duncan Lake I took some pics of a Goldeneye duck, a male. You can see why he is called a Goldeneye.

Next day a Robin in the back yard, spring is bringing in lots of new migrants.

3 comments:

Gert said...

The next time there are birds in my neck of the woods YOU are bringing your camera !!!!
Sooooooo...be prepared.
Saw a flicker today, fox sparrow, Northern harrier and white throats..

Brook said...

Your post reminds me of the once a year Granddaddy's pastures. Standing by with our rakes, spreading and tamping as necessary, hoping the wind never picked up. It was fun sooty work and we always ended the day looking like smoke jumpers.
We have blue birds showing up and I think a pair of cardinals are making a nest somewhere close by. I love watching the robins cock their wings and tilt their heads-listening for their next bite. Happy Spring!

Brook said...

Whoops-by thoughts bypassed my fingertips!
That first sentence refers to our burning off of my Grandaddy's cow pastures, a job we did at least once a year-sometimes with the help of the local Volunteer Fire Department.