Sunday, June 7, 2009

Back to the heronry






Last June 1st I visited a heronry on Gorman Lk there were 2 active nests, 2 weeks later the eggs were destroyed and the herons gone. I suspect ravens were the culprit.

I went in today to find the nests abandoned, no activity in the nest or visible debris under the nests to even say there was a start. Will have to wait until next year now.

Paddled down to the south end of the lake and found a fresh beaverhouse and the sounds of young inside. I parked opposite the house and waited for some action. The only action was with the blackflies. Good thing I bought my bug jacket along. After two and half hours the missus I think walks out of the bush beside the house, she must have been in feeding. She stopped and nipped off a small spruce and ate it all. Didn't expect that. Then into the water right past me and dove into the water and into the house. Well worth the wait for that show.

No comments: