Monday, June 29, 2009

Millerett mine





East of town the Everett Lake Rd. takes you up to the site of most of the mines that occured near Gowganda in the early years. There were several mines in the area and one of them was the Millerett mine. From 1910 to 1912 the mine was the main producer which produced over 500,000 ounces of silver. This picture is all the remains of the site. The other is tailings from the mines of long ago.
The wasp nest is attached to the soffit of the house, it has a grand entrance way. I'm going to let it grow to see what will happen.

2 comments:

Gert said...

Good morning Bill,
I am glad you put a picture of the wasp nest up..when I was sitting in the car the other day while Paul was speaking to you I noticed it hanging down near your head....wondered what it was.

Isn't it sad, that pictures of some of the old mine sites is all that is left ' of a life time ago'?

Depressing. I use to play on those slimes...we use to walk across them to go from the O'Brien property to the Castle School.
There was a path we kept to but should you step off of it you would sink..Many a shoe was lost to the muck.

A little boy, 'Bucky' Giles drowned in the silt water on the edge of the slimes when I was about 8.

But even that tragedy did not send our parents into a mad panic and demand that the whole property be fenced, nor did it even stop the daily procession of children continuing their walk to the school. And yes...we still played on the slimes!

Face said...

Bill - I think this pic http://www.paulhaskins.com/fish/mine.jpg is the same one.

If so there was also what looked like a hammer mill there, I found lots of beat up castings that looked like they were for a hammer mill. I have a piece of old tailing bleached wood I found on the tailings mounted on the wall in the den. This pic and a blank mine claim marker that i found or on it.

Wish I had one of those cast iron pieces.

Made in to the old Tyranite years ago. Was also in there when they were trying to recover from the tailings - think all is gone now.