Monday, June 2, 2008

Working today with Ron Durling




Busy day today, Ron Durling phoned and asked if I would help him for a few days, being one not afraid of accepting money for work done I said I would be there at 8:00AM. We are working at Ruth Somervilles for a while putting in some new windows and patio doors.

Four more days to the big ATV ride to Sudbury. The weather doesn't look to promising for the first day but things could change.

Back to the Lett lake story, after paddling to the south end of Lett Lake where the water comes in from Gorman Lake, I got out of the canoe and followed the creek up to Gorman Lake, there was no where to portage here as I bushwacked through the alders, part way through there was a large rock ridge which led to a series of waterfalls. After getting to the top I was looking at large beaver dam holding Gorman Lake up. Not a good place to portage at all. Back to the canoe and paddle back north. The map showed a narrowing area about a half kilometer North and sure enough the portage (snowmobile trail).
Over the portage (220 M.) into Gorman, smaller than Lett lake and part way down a small island just off the big beaver dam I had seen earlier. The middle part of the island was flooded out from the beaver dam but on the south end several large jack pines with 2 active looking nests and one falling down. Four herons flew from around the active nests. I got on the island further down and walked back were I could just see the nests. Waited for some time before one came back and settled on the nest right away, I suspect she or whatever was sitting on eggs. The rest of the herons were all sitting on the very top of spruces on the far shore.
Eventually they came in and started landing, any movement by me sent them off again. I moved back into a little more cover and finally was able to get some pics.
Not staying to long I moved off and paddled south down to Logan Lake and turned around and went back to the portage, I will save that trip for another day. After the portage I checked out North Gamble Lake too. Again will save that for another trip.





No comments: